The top 10 points why ALM is important
Why is an ALM tool important in todays development of embedded products
Nohau have during the past more than 25 years preached and missioned to improve the development process by using Requirement Management and ALM/PLM tools. It has been with limited success as most embedded engineers were focusing on implementation of the initial functionality, which typically were described in documents or spreadsheets. The products and applications were typically relative simple and future modifications and improvements were handled in the same documents
Now we experiences a huge request for Requirement and ALM/PLM tools. This is mainly because of the huge increase in complexity of the embedded application, which often have lifetimes of more than 15 years and the involvement of many developers.
Lets try to list 10 points why Application Lifecycle Management is so important:
- Smooth Development Process – Developing an application includes more of a team of developers, standardized processes, and documentation and not just only an awesome application developer. ALM tools can help you easily implant these processes and documentation in themselves by using them as a central hub for storing all the data related to the application development lifecycle. This will enable full traceability and hence, high accountability.
- Preparing and Organizing the Development Process – ALM tools help manage the application development lifecycle. The planning phase begins as soon as the clients share their project requirements. With the help of ALM tools, you can draw up your plans more efficiently along with tools that fit your specific requirements. They can either support waterfall methodology or agile methodology or both.
- Maintain Budgets & Productivity – The first step in any planning is to set up a financial budget. Choosing methodologies that can potentially drain budgets and productivity is simply a stupid move. ALM integration eliminates the requirements for varied environments for testing. Also, with all-in-one software, review and management become easier too.
- Team Management – Communicative and coordinative workspace deeply suits an efficient and smooth software development. ALM can keep all the members on the same page with the real-time strategies, changed requirements, and regular project status. Remote jobs are highly and positively affected by this.
- Speed + Quality – If the team does not collaborate appropriately, the chances for loopholes, delayed deliveries, and low product quality can increase. When you operate your project on ALM software, the integrated tools deliver the user requirements successfully, that too with high quality.
- Carrying the Load – There are high possibilities that the project might get stuck at some point. In case of such cases, apt choices and decisions are needed. ALM comprises the resources and processes in one tool which consequently, benefits the determination of solutions at each step.
- Employee Satisfaction – Employees show their dedication and interest through their productivity levels. Appreciating their efforts and choices is a must. ALM provides the freedom to the employees to use the tools and make their own choices and decisions. This keeps them motivated and satisfied enhancing their productivity.
- Team Productivity – Team productivity is of the utmost importance for a successful outcome in any project. ALM integrated software helps in distributing and allocating the tasks easily. Also, it helps to track productivity, quality, and progress regularly too.
- Fixing Bugs – Testing is done to make sure that the application has as lesser bugs as possible. ALM tools provide a platform for uniting the development and testing processes. This helps reduce the chances of loopholes and enhances the quality of the application.
- Customer Satisfaction – Every service by every organization strives in order to satisfy its customers. ALM tools help maintain high visibility and transparency amongst the service provider and the clients.